Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Jessica Cox tells Pinoys: We can do anything

by Gia Densing, ABS-CBN News

MANILA, Philippines - Filipino-American pilot and Guinness World record holder Jessica Cox arrived Sunday morning from the US.

She will be staying for a month to see her family and relatives. Her mother, Inez, hails from Bobon, Samar.

"I can understand a little bit [of Cebuano]. I'm going to visit the family, but I don't speak it very much," she said in an interview.

The 28-year-old was born without arms but decided, in 2008, that she wanted to fly. She earned her Sports Pilot certificate after three years of training, and was named the first woman to pilot an aircraft using only her feet.

"My right foot is on the yoke, and my left foot is on the throttle. I use both feet, and I don't have special equipment. I just fly the plane," she said.

She describes the experience of flying as freeing.

"It's a big challenge," she confessed, "but once you're in the air it's so empowering."

Despite her disability, Jessica enjoys gymnastics and swimming, and holds a double black belt in taekwondo.

She is also an accomplished motivational speaker.

"I think it's an example of what other people can achieve as well. If I can fly an airplane, everyone else can do what they want to do. Sometimes we limit ourselves with our own perceptions," she explained.

Her message for Filipinos?

"Every one of us has a challenge, whether it's physical, psychological, or emotional. We all have our challenges, but we also have a choice whether to let it stand in the way, or allow it to give us an opportunity to succeed. All of us has that option. The choice is yours."

She added, "With desire, persistence and fearlessness, we can do anything."

No comments: