Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Becoming ‘Doctor Me’ has helped me heal naturally

By Emily Marcelo
Philippine Daily Inquirer

I used turmeric to heal from gum surgery, got rid of my migraines with water, and still treat my diabetes with cinnamon and vitamin C


I REFRAIN from going to medical doctors if I can help it. They may be the experts, and surely know a lot more than me. But many of them have hardly opened their medical books since medical school, or haven’t found time to update themselves on the latest medical discoveries.

The average person has become such a pill-popper-cum-hypochondriac who has lost that basic survival instinct of common sense and fending for himself. And that makes doctors happy. According to the latest statistics in the US, the third largest cause of death is wrong diagnosis!

I learned I had a “bit” of elevated sugar some time ago. I almost expected that it “runs” in my family. However, one doctor said that inheriting a disease doesn’t happen. We only inherit jewelry, land, houses—never diseases, she said.

So okay, it was my lifestyle then that made sugar stick to my ribs. And saying I have just a “bit” of elevated sugar is like saying I’m a “bit” pregnant. So I am diabetic!

After consulting a few doctors, I learned that even the most common case of diabetes, no matter how “mild,” has a downside—kidney failure, gangrene, consequent amputation of one or two limbs, blindness, and whatever else came with the territory.

Being on radio for over a dozen years and meeting incredible natural healers opened my mind to the wonders of what is now known as natural healing. I realized that the time for our emancipation from pharmaceutical companies has arrived, and educating ourselves about herbs and spices could heal so many ailments today, cheaply and safely.

Two kinds of cinnamon

I learned that diabetes can be controlled by taking cinnamon, that aromatic spice, either as capsule or tea. And that there are two kinds of cinnamon—the real cinnamon or Ceylon cinnamon (the one that comes from Sri Lanka), and the most common, the Cassia cinnamon.

The latter cannot be taken for long periods of time, though, because of an ingredient called coumarin, which has a “blood-thinning” effect. Cassia cinnamon contains 0.5 percent coumarin, while Ceylon cinnamon contains only 0.0004 percent. People taking prescription anticlotting medication, or those with bleeding disorders, should beware.

How to distinguish the two? Cassia cinnamon is thick, hard and double-rolled, while Ceylon cinnamon is thin, brittle and rolled like a cigar.

Another miracle spice is that magnificent yellow ginger called turmeric, which I discovered while preparing for my gum surgery and frantically searching for a natural antibiotic. My dentist couldn’t believe I was going to defy his prescription and take only turmeric after my procedure!

I took the capsule three times a day for five days, and not only did I get well fast; I also prevented the other horrible side effects of antibiotics, like vaginal irritation, stomach upset and white-coating of the tongue.

Turmeric also cured my long-suffering yaya of her debilitating and agonizing arthritis, which doctors could only alleviate superficially. How she’d come to work already bedraggle by pain and sleeplessness! But that’s long gone, and her misery is history.

For the liver

Further study puts turmeric in a good light for the liver, useful for treating hepatitis, cirrhosis and jaundice. It is also good in preventing the blockage of arteries that can gradually cause a heart attack or stroke.

By lowering cholesterol levels, turmeric inhibits the oxidation of LDL or bad cholesterol that contributes to the formation of atherosclerotic plaque.

To the spices turmeric and cinnamon, I added vitamin C for my “elevated sugar” regimen. I am a fan of Dr. Linus Pauling, the double Nobel Prize awardee whose faith in vitamin C helped him fight terminal cancer when he was younger. Of course, he eventually died—at the ripe old age of 93.

I met one alternative healer who broke both his legs from paragliding, and instead of being hospitalized and having both legs in a cast, he just relied on a pair of crutches and mega dosed of 10,000 mg of vitamin C everyday. In two months he was walking happily.

Vitamin C helps produce collagen, which is responsible for holding the cells together and healing scrapes and bruises fast.

Diabetic-friendly

This trio of natural supplements is all I take three times a day, everyday. Who prescribed that formula to me? ME! I became Doctor Me. But I also take other diabetic-friendly food like kiwi, avocado, broccoli, okra, banana (saba, raw and very ripe), peanuts, walnuts, cashew, red rice, oats, and lots and lots of water.

I also discovered that coco sugar, which comes from the nectar of the coconut flower, is the benign sugar alternative diabetics can use because of its low glycemic index (GI) of 35. Anything over 50 GI, like refined white sugar, is baaad!

Coco sugar, believe it or not, also cured my stomach ailments. I used to dread going to lunch meetings because I knew that oily and rich foods made me sprint to the bathroom before the meal was even over.

Then some time ago, I had a severe stomach ache and diarrhea that wouldn’t go away. After days of suffering, I succumbed to a doctor’s prescription of the dreaded antibiotic, to no avail; I boiled every plant, and still nothing worked.

After losing almost eight pounds and dangerously dehydrated, I called a friend I call Dr. Quack Quack as a last resort, who asked if I had coco sugar. He told me to take one tablespoon right away, to be repeated when necessary. I took one tablespoon and within minutes, my distressed and painful stomach quieted. I couldn’t believe it! I’ve been hooked since then. Coco sugar is now a mainstay in my bag, whenever I travel or eat out.

Another regimen worth sharing is swishing coconut oil inside your mouth. It’s basically just rinsing your mouth with virgin coconut oil (VCO), much like you would with a mouthwash, twice a day. It has a very powerful cleansing, healing, and detoxifying affect, not only on the mouth, but on the entire body!

Ayurvedic medicine

Our mouths are home to billions of bacteria, which contribute to many health problems. That simple? Oil pulling, according to research, is practiced in centuries-old Ayurvedic medicine.

VCO can also be used as feminine douche after shower, a moisturizer, and a pimple and acne buster—an antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral wonder. Besides easing constipation (a tablespoon before bedtime will do wonders in the morning), it’s been documented to fight cancer, as well.

Suffering from migraine? I had suffered the horrible, debilitating pain since high school. I tried acupuncture, acupresssure, and a variety of medicines.

Then I met Jimmy Dy-Liacco, a retired businessman who now practices naturopathy, who became a frequent guest on my radio program. He casually told me that my migraine was the result of dehydration!

From that fateful meeting, I started to drink lots of water everyday, and miraculously, my migraine just disappeared like it never happened. Water was the key to what held me hostage all my life.

Sure, I am not a doctor. But I don’t think I will be be sued by the medical profession for sharing these tips.

The healing stuff I’ve mentioned are in your kitchen. No one will be exempt from diseases, ailments, and accidents- because no one will live forever. But for everyday aches and pains you have control over, listen to your body and allow your common sense to guide you.

Moral of the story? If you’re not actually bleeding profusely, comatose, dying, or sick big time, refrain from this awful habit of popping painkillers, sleeping pills, laxatives, or pharmaceuticals you have lying around your house.

Look around you and see what nature has to offer before running to the nearest drug store and bombarding your body with chemicals. You may just be very thirsty, hungry, or plain tired.

No comments: